With the unstoppable growth of video networks such as Youtube or Tiktok, it’s the right time for merchants to use Instagram TV for business with video content as well.
Some of you may doubt this because IGTV is assumed to be a tool mainly built for creators, so how can it help you with e-commerce businesses? No worry, we are here to guide you through how to leverage Instagram TV to the fullest.
But first, let’s get to know IGTV!
What is Instagram TV?
First launched in June 2018, IGTV (or Instagram TV) is a mobile-optimized hub for long-form videos that are not limited to one minute like regular Instagram feed videos or stories, and take over your entire screen.
So, what is IGTV capable of doing? With IGTV, brands and creators are enabled to produce and upload videos from 60 seconds to 1 hour in length as a series right on Instagram to serve their own purposes without limitation in creativity.
In addition, IGTV is personalized for audiences, which means videos on Instagram TV are discovered and recommended for users based on their historical engagements and interactions. Viewers can like, comment, and share an IGTV video as a usual one on Instagram feed.
In 2019, Instagram also empowered IGTV videos by letting users post a 1-minute preview of IGTV videos on stories or posts to drive more traffic and improve discoverability.
Most people assume that Instagram TV was built to mainly support creators or influencers, but they do not know they can use IGTV for business especially when Instagram Shopping was born.
Unfortunately, most SMBs still look away from IGTV videos because they prefer short video content (Instagram stories or posts) with quite instant influences. However, we are gonna make you change your mind.
Why should businesses use IGTV for business?
Perhaps, IGTV could not dominate the giant video platforms like Youtube or Tiktok and the IGTV adoption rate for both brands and regular users is lower than expected. However, Instagram TV still proves itself a very potential video content hub for e-com businesses by real statistics. And you know what? Numbers don’t lie!
- By the end of 2021, it is estimated that there will be 1.9 billion Internet video users, representing 80% of all Internet users. This means that the market for video content like IGTV is vast.
- According to research by SimilarWeb, Internet users spend an average of 53 minutes minimum per day to consume Instagram content (including images, stories, and videos).
- Social Media Marketing Industry Report showed that 38% of marketers are producing content through Instagram stories while 26% are using Instagram TV.
Possible benefits you can earn when using IGTV for business
If these statistics do not motivate you to use IGTV for your businesses, then you definitely should check out the following benefits of leveraging Instagram TV for e-commerce businesses:
- Boost visibility and discoverability for your products and services: IGTV lets you market your products better by creating multiple kinds of videos (Product tutorials, reviews, etc) to directly approach prospective customers. Moreover, Instagram Shopping’s enabled Insta-users to tag products to IGTV videos easily. Thanks to this, viewers only need a click to check out the products they see on the videos and make purchases. It’s the best of both worlds.
- Engage with more audiences and convert them into customers: IGTV videos approach audiences by content and drive their attention to your products.
- Get opportunities to build brand awareness and customer loyalty: Videos are a potent sales tool to showcase products and convince customers to make purchases more than any kinds of content.
Obviously, IGTV is a potential place to help businesses promote their products via video content with a wide range of prospective customers available on Instagram. Therefore, businesses of all sizes should consider adding IGTV to their marketing strategies.
How to share a video on Instagram TV?
You need to create your video outside of Instagram first. For more information about IGTV video standards, check out this.
Then follow these steps to share your video on IGTV:
If you are on mobile, do as instructed below:
- Step 1: Open Instagram app > Profile page > Select ‘+’ > Select the video you want to share on IGTV > Tap Next
- Step 2: Choose to share as Long Video > Pick a Cover Image for your IGTV video > Fill out the title and description
- Step 3: Enable or disable Post a Preview on Instagram feed or make it Visible on Facebook > Post
If you are on desktop, follow the instructions:
- Step 1: Go to Profile > IGTV > Upload
- Step 2: Add your video by clicking on Drag and drop a video file > Choose a Cover image > Input title and description > Save as draft or Post
How to create a series on IGTV?
With a library of your Instagram videos, you can easily organize them into a series of your own brand. You can either do it in 2 ways:
- Create and add an Instagram TV video to a series: This process takes place when you create a new IGTV video. All you have to do is to click on the ‘Add to series’ tab. If this is the first video of your series, you give your series a name and some words for description.
- Add available videos into an IGTV series: Go to your IGTV tab > Tap on the video you want to add to the series > Click ‘Edit’ > Add to series > Post > Done
How to use IGTV for business?
Speaking of leveraging Instagram for business, most of you must be thinking about creating shoppable Instagram posts right? Part of it is correct! However, IGTV videos can be shoppable as well.
IGTV Shopping: Tag products to make Instagram TV videos shoppable
Previously, Instagram users can only add links to IGTV video descriptions to encourage audiences to click and check out products.
With the introduction of Instagram Shopping, brands and creators can tag products in IGTV videos.
Now, viewers not only can watch IGTV videos but also discover and buy products directly on Instagram TV. This feature from Instagram has completed the seamless customer journey from awareness to inspiration and purchase without leaving the platform.
Are you ready to use IGTV for business? If yes, proceed to our guideline to tag products in Instagram TV videos.
How to tag products in IGTV videos?
Before you start, you must be approved for Instagram Shopping first. If you have not done it yet, follow the instructions to get approved for Instagram Shop.
Please note that you are allowed to tag up to 30 products or a collection to be featured in your IGTV video.
To tag products in Instagram TV videos, you have to go through 2 steps as below:
- Step 1: Tap + and select the video you want to upload > Tap Next > Select Long Video > then click on Continue > Select Cover for your video
- Step 2: Tap Tag Products > Select products or collections you want to add to video > Tap Post > Done
BONUS: You still can add clickable links to IGTV video descriptions to increase the click-through rate for more conversion.
How to track Instagram TV performance?
Using IGTV for business is a good way to drive traffic and sales; furthermore, you can track your Instagram TV videos’ performance.
To access the analytics, click on the 3 dots at the bottom of your screen when your IGTV video is playing. A popup will appear to let you know how many views, likes, comments, and saves your video has earned.
With our guidelines, we strongly believe that you can use IGTV for business efficiently. If you need more of our tips to leverage your Instagram to generate more sales, check out our blogs and find the keyword ‘Instagram’ for all the best strategies. Stay in touch with Socialhead via our social channels and website for all the latest info and e-commerce strategies. Good luck and happy selling!